Thursday, May 22, 2014

Saying goodbye to Cork

Well friends and family, this is it!  This will be my last blog post from Cork.

I can't believe it.  Its hard to believe that it was five months ago that I moved into my apartment and I began to find my way around the city by myself.  Doesn't seem like it was that long ago!  I am officially ending my 21 weeks on the Emerald Isle in only a few days.

What to even say about my time here? My friends and I have been talking about what it will be like to be back in America.  I am sure many people will ask me, how was it? Did you like it?  and I am thinking how do I answer that question truthfully in one conversation?  How do I tell someone about the things I have experienced in the past five months?  I suppose the normal answer would be something like, "It was amazing, I loved it!"  Which is true, but there is so much more to my experience abroad than those 6 words that I can never fully explain to someone who hasn't also experienced it or been there with me along the way.

Really, you can't sum up 5 months in one conversation and it will probably drive me crazy that I can't give them an answer so they will truly understand everything that I have experienced!

Anyways, I have been making mental lists of things I am excited for in America and things I am sad to leave behind in Ireland and in Cork.

Here are the things I will miss most about Ireland and Cork:
-The people.  The people that I have had the opportunity to interact with here in Cork are some of the kindest, most excited about life people I have ever encountered.  The Irish outlook on life is just so easygoing and upbeat at the same time!  I feel like people smile more here.  Maybe I just haven't observed this closely enough in the states, but in general the Irish are just happy!
-Accents.  Words like 'grand' and 'thanks a million' or a new one I've been hearing, 'thats class' like thats so cool or awesome.  But really, it will be so strange to not hear these really nice accent in my everyday life.
-UCC.  My school here is incredible.  The campus is beautiful, the library… If I had the option to go here for four years I think I would take that into consideration.  Its a great school.
-Strangely, my apartment.  Although my apartment building is not in the best shape.  Megan and I got really lucky with our apartment.  Its clean, we have hot water, and things don't break like other apartments.  AND we have a beautiful view of the city and the river.  I think I will really miss my mornings eating oatmeal and seeing swans swim down the river.  Or my evenings, reading a book or drinking tea watching the sun set over the city and the river.  Or even rainy days where I look at the river and see all the droplets of water and know that I will have to bundle up that day.
-My favorite coffee shops and restaurants.  Most namely, the half door cafe.  I am so grateful that I stumbled upon this beauty while wandering alone and looking for a coffee.  Not only is the food, drinks and atmosphere amazing, the staff are so friendly and know my orders and my name.
-Walking!  Seriously, if I need to send a letter I can walk five minutes away and its done.  Need a loaf of bread? Same thing.  No wonder Americans are fat, we drive EVERYWHERE.  I can't believe that I used to drive to High school that was a 4 minute drive from my house.  I walked 35 minutes to one of my classes this semester and I really didn't mind it at all.  It will be a big transition to needing a car to really do anything.
-Last but not least (on this list) trad music in my favorite Irish pub.  As well as a few local brews that I have come to really enjoy.  This is just about as Irish as it gets people.  The atmosphere is so warm and homey and the music is always good.  Ah I will miss this pub so much.

The list of things I won't miss are short and sweet.  Dog poop, mangy cats, noisy streets at night and constant rain. If you haven't noticed I kinda like it here :)

So, America! Here are some things that I am looking forward to:
-My family.  I haven't seen most of my family for 5 months!  Each year I am realizing how lucky I am to have such a supportive and loving family.  I also get to meet my nephew when I get back! I can't wait.
-Jason.  Its been a long 22 weeks in this aspect of my time here.  It almost feels like I will actually never see him again, when I am going to see him in only a few days! AH.  I am so ready to not talk to him on a screen and actually talk to his face!
-The American dollar.  Ireland is great, but its expensive. I will be glad to make the change from the euro to the dollar.
-Although I really like walking everywhere, it will be nice to drive my car again.  Driving will feel so strange after not driving for so long! I am a little worried about driving on the wrong side of the road but I'm sure I'll be fine :)
-I am excited to not stand out like a sore thumb because of my accent or how I am dressed.  I won't be labeled as an American anymore because well, Ill be in America!  As much as I've tried to blend in, its pretty obvious that I am not from here especially when I open my mouth!
-We have all been talking about the food we are going to eat when we get back to the states.  My go to's will be Dairy Queen, Chipotle, Panera and Kraft Macaroni and Cheese :)  Yes, I am a nutrition major.  Oops?

In my head, I think I am ready to leave.  But I am sure that once I leave I will experience a much worse reverse culture shock than I experienced coming here.  Study abroad has taught me more than ever how to be independent and embrace the things that are different about me from others around me.  I have learned that its hard to be away from my close family and friends for so long, but also that a group of 15 students from CSB/SJU with extremely different personalities can become like a second family.  The people on this trip with me have defined many of my experiences.  I have learned that when family is not there to comfort someone with a loss or a hard time, there are people with such kind hearts that will step up and be there for that person.  We have all learned to lean on each other and support each other even though we are all SO different.  Its such a hodgepodge of people and personalities that I never would have guessed I would be friends with.  Life is cool like that.

Here are some photos from my last week in Cork.

River walk

One of my favorite views in Cork

Soccer game!

Me and some friends at the soccer game.

It was Megan's birthday!  We celebrated accordingly with crepes.

Birthday crepe crew

My lovely roommate

Done with finals!

One last look at my beautiful campus. 

Saying farewell to the half door cafe with one last chai latte.  The owner gave me a free lunch today for it being my last day.  She also gave me some extra chai powder to take home and make my own chais.  I will miss that place. 



I know you are all dying to know what comes next in life for me.  I am going to be living in Forest, Virginia for the summer.  This is where my boyfriend, Jason lives and goes to school so I am going to spend a summer on the east coast to be near him after 5 months apart.  Yes, I am that girl.  No shame.  And since I know you are all dying to know what I am going to be doing over in VA, I have decided to start another blog for my adventures and life stuff that happens over there.  You'll all have another way to creep on me all summer long! Horray!

In 24 hours I will be somewhere over the atlantic on my way to America.  A piece of my heart will always remain here in Cork and I am so thankful that I have had the opportunity to call Cork my home for 5 months.  Its been real Ireland, until next time my sweet sweet greeeeeeen country.

1 comment:

  1. Is it strange that almost a year later, I'm still enjoying your posts and pictures, Steph?! But here's why - they are amazing and I truly thank you for doing these!
    Love - Dad

    ReplyDelete